Travelling.
What is travelling? Everyone wants to travel the world these days. Is it simply getting on a plane, landing, taking a few pictures and getting back on the plane and showing your friends the photos of you posing in front of a landmark?
I personally think that that is not traveling. Even though a few members of my family do it(and it annoys THE HELL out of me), I don’t think that that’s what travelling to different places and nations is about. Sure, visit the landmarks, take pictures, be a poser while you’re at it and shit, but staying in a five star hotel while you are in a third world country is NOT travelling. How is that exploring? Isn’t travelling about learning new experiences, percieving things you’ve never seen before(other than a massive suite in some rich hotel), mingling with the people and eating their foods to find out more about their culture?

5 comments:

JJ said...

Yes, indeed. That's the difference between travel and tourism. 'Travel' can also be a process of expanding your consciousness without even leaving the house.

Carmen said...

damned tourism!

JJ said...

You've got it, Carms. I wrote a magazine article on the damaging effects of tourism twenty years ago. Travellers go to experience; tourists go to play. The 'industry' takes over, and before you know it they've destroyed the very beauty that attracted people there in the first place. It famously happened to part of the Med in the 80s/90s.

Carmen said...

I know! I hate how some parts of the natural habitat is perfect without any infrasture built on it, and then some money makers come along and create a resort there!

by the way, what is 'Med'?

JJ said...

Sorry. Mediterranean.